mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger I didn't buy this book during the recent Manila International Book Fair for the same reason, but I ended up reading it for Banned Books Week! And it was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made, because The Catcher in the Rye is a classic without needing a complicated language or a complex plot.The story was quite simple, really. It started with Holden Caulfield, the charming main character, about to get kicked out of school for the nth time. He left days before he's supposed to, then went to New York and smoked, drank, and "horsed" around, calling up and visiting some of his past acquaintances. The story's just all that, really.Only, it's not. Holden did all that while reflecting on everything he saw, and for me, those were the best parts of this book. I haven't seen what he's seen or experienced what he's experienced, but I can still relate to him and his thoughts.Holden got depressed quite easily, but he's really entertaining. He's crazy, to put it simply. At times, he clutched his stomach, pretending that he's shot. And he's quite the smooth liar. A very funny person, he was. I also loved how he just did what he wanted to; I wish I could be as brave as him.Overall, The Catcher in the Rye was very good, and totally unworthy of being a challenged book. It reminded me of John Green's novels, which I also enjoyed (though, unfortunately, I have not yet read them all). I'm looking forward to reading Salinger's other book, Franny and Zooey.MY FAVORITE PART was his encounter with who was possibly the true Mr. Antolini. That was hilariously shocking.(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making)