mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach

Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon - Anna Banks (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)Right from page one, I knew Of Poseidon is the kind of book that I can read over and over again and never get tired of. It was so original, not just because it's my first mermaid book but more because of the take on them. Oh, wait, not mermaid—Syrena. The fantastic writing urged me to turn the pages and keep learning about their unique world, and the perfectly-timed humor fit in really well with the overall fast pace of the story.Emma, our main character, was brave and kind, with a stubbornness that was endearing, not infuriating. She had been looking forward to her eighteenth birthday, like other teenagers do. It was supposed to mean freedom, but for someone with a talent as fishy—see what I did there?—as hers, it led to a shocking truth which she accepted admirably. She panicked, yes, but she quickly got over that and faced the undeniable facts with an open mind.Along with Emma's newfound identity came Galen, the beautiful boy with dark hair and violet eyes, the same violet eyes that had always made Emma feel like a freak. He's a Syrena prince who was an ambassador to the humans, although he worked with only a handful of them, and Emma's talent drew him in... in more ways than one, as he would soon realize. Because of his Royal upbringing, he did tend to be controlling and possessive at times, but that worked out well because Emma wasn't one to be bossed around. Them knowing how to push each other's buttons really provided for a lot of laughs.The ending was quite abrupt, and I would've pulled out chunks of my hair if I didn't already have Of Triton in my hands. Fortunate, really, because I read three-fourths of this book while my dad sat watching me from across the room. I don't even want to imagine how he would've reacted if I suddenly pulled a tantrum :))MY FAVORITE PART was Emma and Toraf "working" together. They sure shocked their beloved spoiled Royals :))