mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach

The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones - Laura   Howard Actual rating: 3.5(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)I didn't think I'd be this surprised by The Forgotten Ones—just by reading the blurb, I'd already formed theories as to where this story could go, especially since this isn't my first time encountering the Tuatha de Danaan in fiction—but from the start, Allison's story had me curious. The writing also captured me; I found its beauty on the clarity and simplicity of how the words were strung together. Allison was an okay character for me. She was smart and strong, and I admired her determination to someday be able to relieve her grandparents of the burden of taking care of her schizophrenic mother, but it irked me how she felt like having fun every once in a while was such a crime, or at least that it would be a huge hindrance to her goal. In the end, she was also quite forgettable.I loved how fast-paced this book was, and I read it in almost one sitting. The Forgotten Ones was rich with action and a colorful cast of characters, although some of them felt unnecessary and ended up confusing me, what with their goals or desires not being made clear enough to distinguish them if not by their otherworldly names. But although most of them were transparent and vague at the same time, that didn't make the story uninteresting at any point. I just kept reading and reading until I reached the end.Allison's romance with Ethan, the bad boy who always turned sweet and gentle for her, felt very sporadic. I'd say it was unneeded, but it's not like I didn't enjoy their sweet moments, however few they were. I just wish there was more... or at least almost as much as we saw of the Danaan's world. Speaking of which, the fairy world was described very well by the author, making it all too easy to see the beauty and horror mixed together beneath the wonder.The ending was fulfilling, tying up the immediate conflicts and leaving loose ends for the sequel. I started reading The Forgotten Ones thinking it was a standalone, but I'm glad to find out that it's actually the first in a trilogy.MY FAVORITE PART was Allison and Ethan's date. Talk about a break from all the weird in her life.