mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach

Addicted to You (Addicted, #1)

Addicted to You  - Krista Ritchie, Becca Ritchie (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)From a young age, Lily Calloway and Loren Hale had always looked out for each other—or, rather, "enabled" each other—because they were addicts. Lily couldn't live without constant thoughts and acts of sex, and Loren drank alcohol more than normal people drank water. Over the years, they had gotten very good at covering up for each other, hiding their cases from everyone, including their families. They were like a well-oiled machine until, out of desperation, Lily took on Loren's offer to be her monogamous sex partner.Let me start off my review by saying this: Addicted to You was freaking amazing, and it's now one of my current top ten reads for this year and one of my top five NA reads ever. Lily's voice was captivating, and I was immediately curious as to why she and Loren had become addicts. All throughout the book, their lives centered on sex and booze, and watching them struggle to survive was troublingly fascinating.It was touching how Lily hadn't wanted Loren to be her "friend with benefits" because she knew it would complicate matters, and she really wanted to keep him, the only person in her life who knew about her addiction and yet didn't push her away in revulsion. But it was frustrating, too, because it was obviously a better option than her bathroom quickies and one-night stands with total strangers.Lily and Loren's relationship blurred the line between love and dependence. They were each other's escape and not their medicine, but I still wanted them to be together.Being in a real relationship was supposed to fix the kinks in our lives. It should've made our problems easier. We no longer have to pretend. We can be ourselves. We're free from one life. Isn't this the part where our love overcomes our addictions? Where our problems magically solve from a kiss and a promise?There were times when I'd think that they could work, even with their addictions.I start dreaming about having sex right here. Lo taking me across the bar in a sultry heat. Sex on a bar.It'd be like our addictions making love.I've said before that I hate whiny characters who don't do anything to solve their problems, but in this case, I didn't even feel the slightest dislike for Lily. First, she didn't exactly whine, just admitted over and over that she and Loren had problems—because they knew they had problems. And second, those problems weren't simple—they were real, honest-to-God, finger-twitching, need-a-shrink-stat addictions.Addicted to You reminded me of Gossip Girl, what with billion-dollar-rich troubled "new adults" as protagonists. Even the family drama was there. I imagine this is what could've happened if Serena van der Woodsen slept around a little bit more and dated an even-worse-alcoholic Chuck Bass. The ending was one-fourth expected and three-fourths shocking, and, holy moly, I need the sequel ASAP!MY FAVORITE PART was Lily's "I have a virus" episode in class :))