mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach

Nobody But Us

Nobody But Us - Kristin Halbrook (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)I can't think of any other way to start this review but to say this: Nobody But Us broke my heart. Like the case in Flawed by Kate Avelynn, I kept thinking "if only they had good parents...", and having that in mind just made it more heartbreaking.Will, who was abandoned by his mom at a young age, and Zoe, who grew up with her abusive father, found each other and decided to run away to build the life they'd always dreamed of. Being teens who had to endure hard lives, I expected them to be realistic and they were, to a point, but unfortunately they were more naive. Like Zoe realized near the end, I think they mistook the want to save each other for love, but I didn't really care because it was beautiful to see that grow into real love with every smile, every touch, every kiss. Their relationship wasn't the only thing that grew, though, because along the way, they urged each other to grow, either by getting over their past or facing it. Sadly, after the initial good came the bad. Will sunk deeper into his hopelessness - which was believable - but Zoe's speedy change to a rash person totally surprised me.Because the book was written in both Will and Zoe's POVs, I truly felt and understood their worries, uncertainties, and the thrill of finally being free for the first time in their lives, however short-lived the prospect was. Will's double negatives irked me, but it really helped in figuring out who was talking and also to give him more individuality.Due to the characters' circumstances, I knew I shouldn't expect a happy-ever-after, but damn, that ending was worse than I'd guessed. I'll stop here before I say something spoiler-y, but believe me when I say that I really loved this book and that I'll pick it up again when I feel like getting depressed.MY FAVORITE PART was when Will and Zoe were in the woods.