mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
Once Upon A Second Chance - Marian Vere (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)When I started reading Once Upon a Second Chance, I was only expecting a light love story with a few cute moments here and there, but what I got was a captivating tale of a woman who had finally decided to take charge of her life. At first glance, Julia Basham seemed happy. She had a nice job and even nicer co-workers, a supportive older sister, and a life that she was living the way she wanted to. But she wasn't. For eight years, she'd secretly been regretting following the advice of Lisa - her older sister - to break up with Nick Kerkley, her ex-fiance from college who, back then, had an uncertain future. And for eight years, she'd been following his journey to success, right up to Forbes' Top 10 Richest list. Julia thought those news articles would be the closest she'd ever get to him again... until the day he was to be her personal finance consulting group's newest client. Honestly, when I first read the summary, I felt an immediate dislike for Julia. I mean, breaking up with your fiance just because your older sister thought he wasn't matching up to your foreseeable successful future? Really? But then I realized this story's not so far-fetched; I'm sure it's already happened to someone out there, so I quickly overcame that dislike and dived into her story, and she even more quickly made me regret that initial dislike!Being inside Julia's head was really fun. She was witty and rational - well, most of the time - and her inside jokes with herself had me burst out laughing. But at the same time, I really felt the pain and regret she had in her, a weight she'd been carrying around for almost a decade when, if not for her one mistake, she should've been happy. I also pitied her when she was trying but failing to turn her love life around. When she wanted to give up, I also wanted to give up. When she saw a glimmer of hope, I also saw a glimmer of hope. Yes, this book took me on an emotional roller coaster, and I regret nothing.Another thing I loved was how the characters all breathed life through the pages. There were quite a lot of them, but Vere developed them all very well, becoming their own selves. Though the plot was slightly predictable, I still got surprised. Like I were expecting to see a bridge but instead, what I see is a fallen bridge. Get it? No? Well, no one said I'm good at metaphors. *sigh* Also, I almost always got tempted to skip over Julia's internal monologues, or maybe that's just the constant anxiety this book brought me. The pace was brilliant and made this a real page-turner.Overall, reading Once Upon a Second Chance was a great experience, and it is now one of my favorite contemporary reads! Sadly, I haven't read Jane Austen's Persuasion yet so I can't compare the two, but I'm sure that, like this retelling, it can only be good. Also... someone find me my Nick Kerkley!MY FAVORITE PART was after the rehearsal dinner thingy ♥