mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
Angel Dust - Sarah Mussi Actual rating: 3.5THE COVERWhen I first compared this cover to the ARC copy that I received - thanks to a giveaway by the publisher! - I actually preferred the plain white ARC. Then I read it. Nice to meet you, Zara.THE STORYI admit: I thought I'd get another human-angel love story when I began reading Angel Dust, except that this time, it's the girl who's the heavenly being. But no, Angel Dust is so much more than that. In fact, I don't think it's a love story - another case of insta-love here, unfortunately - as much as a coming-of-age story. The book started out quite slow, although I was thrown straight into the action. Written in first-person POV, I easily understood Serafina's mind. The author integrated the backstory really well, no info-dump or whatsoever. It was easy to understand her take on angels and, trust me, it's so different, it made me laugh a few times.It dragged in the middle, to be honest, but it was essential and I can't see it being done in a better way. And the ending? Wow! I love endings like that; not sugar-coated and realistic.And Free Will. Sarah Mussi made me question that, too. Books rarely make me question anything, so I just loved this.THE CHARACTERSThe main character, Serafina, was very hard to like. I doubt angels - yes, I believe in them - are really that naive and innocent (though in her defense, Serafina is a fresh graduate from the Cloisters). Then the next minute she was complaining about the littlest things! But I loved that she was brave and knew what she wanted. She also matured so much in the span of a week. Marcus, the gangsta whom Serafina fell for, was just that: a gangsta. He didn't make me swoon or anything, which was a first because I normally love bad boys.And Larry, the helpful stranger, was not to be taken in face value. I had two guesses of who he truly was, and one of them, as I learned in the end, was correct. There was another guy - archangel, actually - and he was the one I liked. I have a thing for archangels.MY FAVORITE PART was the ending. Just read it and see for yourself.(This review was also posted at My Library in the Making)