mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
A Cast of Stones - Patrick W. Carr Actual rating: 4.5(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)I don't know if it's just me but when I'm about to read high fantasy novels, I try to ward off any expectations from my mind because they can only go either of two ways for me: hit or miss. Fortunately, A Cast of Stones didn't just hit the target, it went right through it.The story opened by introducing us to Errol Stone, the town's young drunkard, offering to deliver a message to the local hermit priest in exchange of coin to buy more, well, ale. He is surprised when he gets a gold coin for a mere advance, but shakes it off as good luck. To his disappointment, his luck seemed to have ended there when he finds himself chased by an assassin. He reaches the priest's home, to safety - or so he thought, because instead of being relieved of danger, he gets thrust into a plot deeper and more dangerous than his drunken mind could've ever imagined.For me, one of the things that make a good novel is character development, and Errol certainly grew a lot throughout the span of the book, but what I liked more about that growth is that it wasn't just physically - as in his body and abilities - but also internally as he fought his alcohol addiction. With that, he showed that anything can be done if one sets his mind to it. I think it's also worth noting that Errol never made me facepalm. Actually, none of the characters did, because this book was full of wise, colorful characters from both the good and bad sides which made it more exciting whenever they were pitted against each other.Another thing I loved was how the fantastical elements laced in perfectly well with court intrigue, and how those two mixed raised the stakes even higher, not only for Errol, the main character, but for everyone in the plot.With much action right from the start, and overflowing with secrets, surprises and revelations in an expertly-expounded world, A Cast of Stones has genuinely surprised me. The ending, though not a downright cliffhanger, left much questions unanswered for the sequel which I'm very excited for.MY FAVORITE PART was Errol sparring with Liam. Oh, the foreshadowing ♥