mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
The Collector - Victoria Scott (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)I know I said in a recent post that when I read a book, I try not to expect anything—but that's very hard to do when a book's receiving so much hype, as is the case with The Collector. Thankfully, this book didn't disappoint.For me, the best thing about this book was Dante Walker himself, in whose POV this book was written in. It was so much fun being inside his head, and unsurprisingly enough, his abounding self-confidence entertained instead of irritated. I also loved how, for the first time ever—for me, at least—the heroine wasn't physically appealing, particularly in the hero's eyes.At first glance, Charlie Cooper was the stereotypical nerdy girl, complete with hideous hair, uneven teeth, and bad skin, and I had a hard time imagining how self-absorbed Dante could fall for her. But sure enough, he did. How could he have not? Beneath the unpleasant facade, Charlie was smart, sweet, and so unusually kind. Their relationship was one I really loved, because it didn't sprout—it grew, changing both of them along the way.The Collector's strength was clearly the characters, because I felt like the plot could have progressed faster. Still, that gave me time to relish these new friends, whose variety added so much more color to the story. It also enhanced the suspense; the whole time I was reading this, I kept suspecting everyone as the bad guy who would stab Dante and Charlie in the back.The twist at the end was great, but it made me even more worried for Dante and Charlie. Also, I wish what would happen to Charlie's soul had gotten explained, but I'm sure it will be in the next book which I am looking forward to!MY FAVORITE PART was Dante trying to get close to Charlie.