mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
Beautiful Disaster  - Jamie McGuire Actual rating: 4.5(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)I don't give much thought to genres, but say New Adult and my eyes and ears automatically perk up. Like the other novels I've read that fall under that category, Beautiful Disaster was sexy yet emotional, hooking me in from page one. The prose wasn't outstanding, what with the steep and weird turns that the conversation sometimes took, but the mediocrity ends there. This book shone with its wide cast of characters—most of them college kids whose level of freedom added more possibilities for the plot to stretch out. But I'll focus on our main couple for the story truly centered on them.First, Travis Maddox. I'd seen so much love for this Walking One-Night Stand that I didn't think I'd be so much of a fan. But who was I kidding. I love bad boys, and Travis was nothing if not one of them. What made me swoon, though, was how he was a bad boy with the heart of a good one and the brain of a nerd. Yeah, he's smart; color me surprised. He saved his sweetness for Abby, but every time he showed it, I couldn't help but giggle and gush like mad. The only thing I hated about him was his violent and manipulative streak.Abby Abernathy, on the other hand, made me raise an eyebrow most of the time. The blurb promised a goody-goody all around, but I felt like in the story, that "innocence" was only justified by her cardigans (which she didn't even wear much). I also didn't like how Abby let what other people thought affect her so much, and her characterization was very inconsistent, oftentimes making her a hypocrite. For me, her initial hesitance to take a chance with Travis was pure cowardice—sure, he had a very bleak reputation, but it was nothing a good, lengthy conversation couldn't solve. And then came the big event when her one month at Travis' apartment was up. What in farking hell was that?! I was so enraged that I saw red, and if only the copy I'd been reading wasn't borrowed, I would've thrown it across the room. Seriously, it's Abby who's disturbing, not Travis, even with his womanizing—which he'd totally stopped because of Abby, by the way. And aside from the unhealthiness of their relationship, I also didn't like their constant push-and-pull, especially because the story dragged because of that.Fortunately, the story took an unexpected turn when the drama with Abby's dad came in—unexpected, but not surprising because the whole time, I was just waiting for, excuse my French, shit to hit the fan.Beautiful Disaster was one of those books that kept me on the edge of my seat with worry for the characters. When I had to put it down because of mundane reasons, my mind kept wandering to it; that's how addictive it was. And when I reached the end, I was relieved that I could finally stop worrying about them, but at the same time, I craved for more. Thankfully, I had Walking Disaster at the ready.MY FAVORITE PART was "I CAN'T! Get... no... satisfaction." Totally cracked me up.