mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
Secret for a Song - S.K. Falls (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)I don't know what I expected from Secret for a Song, but it was definitely not this. Not for me to tear up over a guy playing the guitar and singing, nor for me to be a blubbering mess when he stumbles over his own two feet. And yes, I'm not even talking about the main character.From the get-go, it was obvious that Saylor self-harms—and it's not the 'slit your wrists with a razor' type, but the 'inject yourself with your saliva' type because, as Saylor said, people with her condition don't do it to die—not only to attract attention, but also as a revenge to her parents for their lack of concern. Now, I am vehemently against self-harm, but I felt for Saylor because she wasn't exaggerating when she said her parents couldn't care less about her (not her exact words, but that's the gist of it).Seeing as how Saylor craves for attention, she would, of course, find solace in a support group—except one that's not for people with Munchausen, but for those with terminal illnesses and degenerative diseases. Before you think she's so evil, let me tell you that she didn't actually plan to join the group. Drew, the group's leader, thought she was a new member and before she could correct them about it, they'd already made her feel at home. So what I don't understand is how she could go on making herself sick when she was surrounded by people who would give anything to be healthy again, even more when she was already falling for Drew.What came as a surprise to me was how well the real members of the TIDD group handled their situations. They had their low days when they sulked and ranted about how unfair their lives were, sure, but for the most part, they were really accepting and they faced their illnesses head-on. They were all realistically inspiring.Secret for a Song is a quick read that will make you rethink how you're living your life. It reminded me to be grateful for my imperfect life because a lot of people still have it worse. The writing flowed smoothly and hit me in the right places, and the unexpected open ending has me wishing all the best for the characters.MY FAVORITE PART was when Drew performed Secret for a Song at the Sphinx. Tears, I tell you.