mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
Saving Ben - Ashley Farley (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)Saving Ben definitely didn't turn out the way I'd thought it would. Right from page one, I was hooked; I flew through this book. The characters were all captivating, particularly Kat's narration, and with that ominous book description, I was curious to know just how bad a situation Ben was in and how he could be saved.I liked Kat. She was smart and strong-willed, and even though she was quite the party girl, she knew when to draw the line and hit the brake. She was also perceptive and had a backbone, which allowed her to see everyone as they truly were and deal with them.So it's no surprise that Kat's the first to see Emma for the &%!*@ that she was beneath that attractive surface. You know that fun, beautiful girl in horror movies who turns out to be the serial killer, a la Leighton Meester in The Roommate? That's the kind of vibe I got from her. As soon as she was introduced, I was wary—wary and curious. Why did she become the person that she was? But soon enough, hatred won over that curiosity. Emma was manipulative, an opportunist, possibly a klepto, and certainly a psycho. I wanted to strangle her and bang her head on a wall. Repeatedly.Yeah, this girl gave me a lot of murderous feels.Even with that title, I'm glad the book didn't just focus on Ben's fixation with Emma. There were a lot of aspects to the story such as family drama, eating disorders, substance abuse, anger management, and even just the plain old New Adult issue of settling into college, fleshing out the characters even more.Overall, Saving Ben was nothing groundbreaking or mind-blowing, but it was a good emotional read that made me appreciate my family even more. The book's unexpected turn of events surprised me even though it felt overdone for someone like me who's watched more than her fair share of telenovelas. Still, I liked how honest Kat dealt with all that happened. Some people are just so bad, not even tragedy can make them forgivable.MY FAVORITE PART was Ben climbing the cliff he'd fallen over.