mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach

There Comes A Prophet

There Comes a Prophet - David Litwack (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)There Comes a Prophet is a true example of a book that builds. Characters and concepts—like how the vicars came to power—weren't introduced well, making it confusing and slightly boring at first. The world-building was excellent from the get-go, but although hints that concerned the "darkness" long past indicated that the story was post-apocalyptic/dystopian, it wasn't clear enough for me to be sure.But soon, the mystery kicked in, upping the ante and everything else about this book. The search for the keep was a thrilling ride, with the three main characters going through ups and downs as they searched for the keepers and the clues that they, well, kept with them.The characters I've mentioned were adventures themselves. Three best friends since birth: Nathaniel, Orah, and Thomas. They were very different from each other, and I had to wonder how they even became friends in the first place. To make this easier for you, my dear reader, to understand, I'll say that they're comparable to J.K. Rowling's Golden Trio: Harry, Hermione, and Ron, in that order. Like I said, how their friendship had formed wasn't established, but along the way, I still felt its genuineness. Theirs was a path that brought about trials and divisions in their beliefs, but that only added to the feeling of their real-ness, especially when their flaws came out.Aside from the truly unique concept of an apocalypse brought about by religion, what made this book memorable was the lyrical and imaginative yet crystal-clear writing. Add to that a handful of thought-provoking quote-ables, high stakes, plus a realistic and satisfying ending, and I have nothing to do but recommend this book to everyone.MY FAVORITE PART was the trio's summer at the keep. It reminded me of just how much knowledge we're taking for granted.