mylibraryinthemaking

My Library in the Making

I just read anything and everything that I find interesting.

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach

The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles, #1)

The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles, #1) - Carol Goodman,  Juliet Dark (This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)I've always had an interest towards incubi and succubi - yes, whatever that may say about me - so I don't know why it's only now that I read fiction about them. But I'm thankful that The Demon Lover is my first foray into it, because it sated my interest for the subject matter and more.Cailleach (pronounced Kay-lex) McFay hadn't planned on staying in Fairwick - the town held nothing but the opposite of the city life she wanted - but one look at the Honeysuckle House, which stood almost dead yet still beautiful, was enough to change her mind. Unfortunately, the house and a job at the local college weren't the only new things in Callie's life - she also had a new suitor in the mist that was visiting her every night.I read the synopsis and all before I requested this from NetGalley, and I knew that this wasn't YA (although the stunning cover would pass for a YA novel) so I really don't know why I was surprised when I got to the first steamy scene - I'm not being a prude here, though, because I have read books of this nature before. Anyway, those scenes were so lyrically-written, they actually didn't seem like the scenes they were. Think of the difference between having sex - there, I said it - and making love.Moving on. I think it's safe to say that this book was character-driven. One different decision from Callie and the story would have taken an entirely different path. Probably one that wouldn't have broken my heart. Anyway, Callie - strong and independent - was a very likable character. But perhaps what made this a page-turner was the mystery. If only it were just about the incubus, the story would've progressed and ended faster, but no; I was surprised to encounter a whole assortment of paranormal and magical creatures, and they were all well-developed instead of being there just for the benefit of the plot.Overall, The Demon Lover was a really good urban fantasy read. It was one of those rare books that made me question the line between right and wrong. Although definitely not for children, it should be good for those 16 years old and up, or just anyone looking for a great, unpredictable read. I'll definitely check out the sequel, The Water Witch.MY FAVORITE PARTS were these heartbreaking lines: "Why?" I screamed."I couldn't let you destroy yourself for me."Just kill me now.